Friday, August 27, 2021

Is DoorDash Stealing Tips?

The least transparent food delivery driver app of them all is by far DoorDash. But they claim to be the opposite (Which couldn't be farther from the truth). 

Usually they're good with mileage (Though they have fooled me more than once) and good with the estimated time it would take to complete a delivery, but I have some serious concerns about the way they pay their drivers tips.

DoorDash claims drivers keep 100% of customer tips.  But how do we really know this is the case?  For example, when they hide the final earnings amount from you before completing an order.  Yesterday I had several of these.  I accepted an order that came in for $9 (And to be honest with you if the amount had stayed at $9 it wouldn't have bothered me.) BUT..after I completed the order, it ended up increasing to $11.  Why? Because of a 'Hidden Tip'.  Does that sound like full transparency DoorDash?

My issue with this is that if they are 'Hiding Tips' on us, how do we know they're not stealing them as well?  How do we really know we are getting the full tip amount from the customer if they're being shady about it?  Have you ever used DoorDash for food delivery as a customer?  There is no option to change the tip amount after you receive your order!

I don't know how many times drivers have been asked by customers if they have received their generous tip upon order completion, when the answer was simply "No" or "No, not that amount".  That right there tells you that DoorDash is probably STEALING TIPS.

Another issue I have is that for example, GrubHub will pay out sometimes twice the amount for a driver to go to the same restaurant, deliver to the same customer with the same items (It's happened to me) while DoorDash's payout is significantly lower.  Something stinks to high Heaven about that.

To be fair, none of can know for sure, unless the customer tells us, if ANY of these platforms are hiding/stealing tips.  I mean how do we know that they're not just making up a number?  We really don't know most of the time.  But we DO KNOW when it appears obvious or if we even have to question it.

My advice to customers is that if you want your delivery driver to receive the full tip amount, to tip IN CASH to the driver - in person, upon receiving the food.  That way there's no way that apps like DoorDash can hide or steal tips. Even leaving an envelope outside the door if you can't be present.

UberEats won't show you the full tip amount until one hour after the completion of the order and in my opinion that makes the most sense.  Simply because customers are given the choice to either increase/decrease or eliminate the tips/amounts depending on the quality of service they get.  

With GrubHub, what you see is what you get.  Any order you receive inside the app contains the exact amount you will receive from GrubHub.  The only way that differs is if you receive an additional cash tip upon delivery by the customer during your physical presence.

My question then is 'Why is DoorDash being (At the very least) so shady?'  and 'Can we really trust DoorDash?'.  

I'd imagine that there's going to be class action lawsuits coming down the pipe for DoorDash sooner or later.  Eventually, they're going to get caught out and piss off the wrong driver.



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Non-Tippers" YOU SUCK!

Ok, first and foremost, before I get judged for sounding like I'm apathetic to the impoverished, I want you to know that at one point in...